Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Business Of Being Born

I so enjoyed watching this documentary produced by Rikki Lake. She is also working on changing legislation for midwives and promoting home birth through, "The Big Push."
I read a comment posted on a Rikki blog and had to share it...

"I am so glad that someone is able to bring this national shame to light. As a nurse who has worked in L&D, I have watched the medical community "guilt" countless numbers of women into having a surgical delivery instead of letting the body take it's time to do the work that it was meant to. I have had 3 vaginal births without medical intervention, but it took determination to do so. I have fought for my laboring patients to be allowed more time to deliver from below, and not always been successful. In today's health care scene of short staffing, I have to admit that sometimes it is easier to just be silent and "get the baby delivered" instead of being the patient advocate that I should ALWAYS be. It's also not fun being labeled "difficult and argumentative" and having this show up on a job evaluation, when you do take a stand. The insurance industry has to take a lot of blame for this situation, as the doctors have to always think about a possible lawsuit for "birth trauma" if they do not immediately call for surgical intervention at the first "non-reassuring" fetal monitor strip, whether it is an external monitor, or direct scalp monitoring. I could go on, but I'm sure you can tell this is something I am very passionate about."

I thought this was so interesting, and it reminded me of my sister, a surgical tech who insisted on 2 natural births. She had seen the effects of drug induced deliveries and epidural mishaps. I often wonder if the medical world is secretly thankful for midwives, hoping that someday they will be able to stop this business of birth.
I highly recommend this movie to all.

No comments: